4 Hugues Ross - Blog: DFEngine Update 4
Hugues Ross

8/1/14

DFEngine Update 4

Changelog:

  • Rewrote all of the drawing code. Yes, ALL of it.

The source code is now up on Github! You can check it out here.

The Rewrite

It was bound to happen eventually. There are many parts of this engine that could use some serious work, and with the source out on the web I need to make sure my code is in decent condition. I decided to start with rendering, for two reasons. The first reason is because I plan to add a bunch of new features related to rendering. While this rewrite doesn't add much on its own, it's provided me with most of the backend needed to add many new and exciting features, like finally being able to load textured 3d models. The other reason is that it make the code a bit more modern. Previously, I was using OpenGL 1.1, since it's what I learned initially. However, 1.1 is incredibly old(almost 20 years old at this point) and I there's basically no reason to use it nowadays. Now, DFEngine uses OpenGL 3.0, which is only 5 or 6 years old. That's still pretty bad, but I don't have much choice thanks to my hardware. Regardless, it's a big step in the right direction.

No comments: