4 Hugues Ross - Blog: Capstone Update 10: A new team, and a new game
Hugues Ross

1/22/16

Capstone Update 10: A new team, and a new game

With a new semester, it's time for a new weekly Capstone post.

Dungeon Restocker failed to go forward last semester, so I've joined a new team. Since the new production cycle has only just begun, I'm going to take this post to discuss the game and my role for the coming semester.

The Game

First off, let me introduce you to the game, The Last Light, with a short video:

As you can see, this is not the same goofy lighthearted fun that I was working on last semester. In addition to the trailer, the team made a brief description of the game for a Greenlight page:
"The Last Light is a first-person puzzle / survival-horror game where you play as Sophie Thompson, a highschool student on her way to pick up her younger brother Lucas, when an unknown entity causes a widespread power outage. Sophie embarks on a journey through the underground where she learns that there is some invisible entity lurking in the darkness and that the only way to remain safe is to, at all times, stay in the light."
I think that covers the game pretty well. I find the project especially exciting because this is my first time working on a game in this genre. I'm not usually a huge fan of horror games, but I find the premise interesting so I don't mind developing one. Now, let's talk about my role in all of this.

My Job

Like the other senior production games, this one came from last semester. All of the newcomers, like myself, have taken what was once a tiny 4-person team and tripled the headcount. As a result, many of us have been given some specific responsibilities.
In my case, I'm the team's dedicated Graphics Programmer. That means that I'll be handling a lot of the work on visual effects and materials, alongside the artists. While I enjoy graphics programming, I've never gone too deep into the subject. My work on DFEngine is the farthest I've really taken things, so I'm excited to have a real opportunity to develop and practice my skills.

For now, I'm going to leave it at that. Hopefully I'll have more to talk about next week as I start getting my hands dirty!

No comments: