4 Hugues Ross - Blog: Let's Make a Roguelike - Stats, Items and, Messages
Hugues Ross

9/10/17

Let's Make a Roguelike - Stats, Items and, Messages

Well, here's a new tutorial segment!

This one was pretty awful to write, mostly because I chose too broad of a topic. As a result, it's also quite a bit longer than most of the others (~14 pages, with a previous record of ~11). On the upside, I'm very nearly done here. Currently, I'm planning the remaining 3 segments to cover:
  1. AI and combat
  2. Generating artificial spaces (e.g. mazes, dungeons, buildings, etc.)
  3. Various remaining loose ends, like visibility and overall game structure
I didn't quite do item systems justice here, unfortunately. I seem to have missed dropping/equipping items in particular, although these actions should be fairly trivial to implement with the knowledge from the tutorial.
Since it looks like things are mostly on schedule despite last month's delays, I'm currently pegging the completion date as December 17th, 2017. This will be one full year after I restarted the series, minus a couple days to make it land on a Sunday.

Speaking of dates, this series will be 3 years old in a couple weeks. All I can say at this point is that I'm glad it's coming to a close. It's going to be a while before my next series, I have a few ideas but I want to put a lot of consideration into any future endeavors. However, I do have a one-off informative...thing that I'll be putting up on the tutorials page not too long after this series.

No comments: