4 Hugues Ross - Blog: 2017 End of Year Wrap-up
Hugues Ross

1/2/18

2017 End of Year Wrap-up

I wrote this a couple days before New Year's Eve, but forgot to schedule it. Whoops!
 
Another year has come and gone, and even with health problems and tutorial troubles I still managed to complete a few projects.

This year also featured several new things, like my DFGame update videos and a semi-stable schedule. Without further ado, let's look back at the year's bounty:

DFGame

This is the 3rd year in a row that I've brought up DFGame in my end of year wrap-up.
In 2015, I decided to drop the DFEngine project in favor of something smaller and sleeker.
In 2016, I talked about how DFGame was pretty successful (and the rewrite I was planning).
And now, this year, I had an actual first release. It's nice to see a plan come together like that. There will be a new DFGame update coming out in 2018, with a few changes and fixes related to this post. I've updated the application module to provide split editor/game functionality, and stripped out all direct references to GLFW from the demos for good measure.

I've also been making a small game this week. I'll have more to share on that front soon.

Singularity

As a welcome surprise to cap off the year, the latest version of Singularity is pretty much done. All that I want to get done at this point is a little bit of extra documentation, and then I'll make the release official!

The Website

I redesigned several pages this year, and it's almost all finished. I'm not particularly fond of the tutorials page right now, both because it's not great looking and because it's lacking in content. However, the landing page, about me page, and software page got some nice makeovers.

The Ill-Fated Roguelike Tutorial

This whole project was really unfortunate. I think I made the right call by ultimately cancelling it, but I'll have to make up for the lost content with some smaller tutorials at some point.

Art!

Learning pixel art wasn't a very high priority on my to-do list, but my shoulder issues forced me to find a new hobby. Things have gone pretty well so far, and hopefully I can start reaping the rewards of my practice once I start back up on game development. In the meantime, have a few more pieces:


Next Year

With my retrospective done, it's time to give some consideration to the year ahead. Obviously my plans are subject to change, but I do have a general idea of what I want to do next.

Judging by my overall performance in 2017, I think I can feasibly complete somewhere in the ballpark of 1-2 reasonably-scoped projects in a year. I definitely want to revisit Halberd, although it'll probably take more than a year to complete. Alongside that, I want to make a couple tutorials (probably small ones) and some kind of game. I haven't really worked out any specifics for those, but they're on my to-do list.

For now, though, look forward to a singularity update and a minigame coming soon!

No comments: