4 Hugues Ross - Blog: RPG Project - 03 - In which I rip out the hair that I don't have
Hugues Ross

9/8/12

RPG Project - 03 - In which I rip out the hair that I don't have

Soooooooooo.....






I got things to the point that the player can now travel between loaded sections of map data. It only cost me my afternoon. And my morning. To be perfectly honest, it cost the day. Yes, all of it. No, the map still isn't infinitely expandable. Yes, I'm a right sourpuss.

Null pointers can be a real @#*&%&$^*#$(* to take care of sometimes. On that note, let's talk about something completely different.

I don't think I ever mentioned the custom map editor I built just for this game. I wonder why. It's pretty.
Anyway, I used love to write a tile map editor for this RPG, and it turned out nicely. I haven't touched it in forever, so I think it's time to give it a little overhaul. Right now it has these features:


  • Place tiles
  • Remove tiles
  • Single placement tool
  • Rectangle placement tool
  • Autotiles
  • Saving/Loading
  • Ability to view which areas are accessible and which aren't

I'd like to add these features:
  • Oval tool
  • Ability to name files and/or choose the save directory
  • Flood fill tool
  • Ability to add/see/edit adjacent sections of map data
  • Layers
  • NPC/Player placement
  • Undo/Redo(Maybe)
I think I'll start with the oval and flood fill, then we'll see where I go from there.
Feel free to suggest features you'd like to see added if you really want.
Have a parting screenshot(Note that everything is far from final):

No comments: