4 Hugues Ross - Blog: Update - Feeding the Reader
Hugues Ross

3/31/13

Update - Feeding the Reader

So, I mentioned something coming up a little while ago. That 'something' was Google letting go of Google Reader. That's right, around 3 weeks ago Google announced that they'd be dropping Reader come July. Unfortunately for me, I use Google Reader quite heavily. In fact, I have a few hundred subscriptions that I follow. After looking around at other services, I decided that none of them really suited my taste, and I decided to create my own. Behold...


Singularity, the RSS feed aggregator!

Currently, I'll admit it's not much to look at. Still, with only a week or two of work, it can already find and display the contents of feeds off the internet. I've started working on the database portion of the project, which will allow a user to add feeds to the program, and view new entries in feeds that they follow. Overall, I'm very proud of what I've got so far. However, there are a couple of problems:

First, this project is, and always has been, a very personal project. As such, the code is extremely platform-specific, and I'm still not sure if I'll ever release it to the public. It's more of a creation that I need, rather than something that I'm making for others to use and enjoy.

Second, due to the time sensitivity, I've had to put every other project on hold for this one. Until I've got this in a usable enough form that I can rely on it for my RSS needs, I really cannot afford to spend time on other projects. This means that you'll probably be hearing about this, and only this, for at least a month. Sorry guys!


Now that that's out of the way, some very good news: Classes end for me in under a month, which means that I'll probably have a significantly larger portion of time to devote to my personal projects. I currently plan to get back to Chainsaw Deathrace v2.0(finally!), as well as my map editor and some of my smaller projects. My goal is to get at least 2 or 3 releases out during the summer months. That means I'll be going into next year with fewer projects in progress, and maybe I can start working on some other things like that old RPG engine. Time will tell.

No comments: