4 Hugues Ross - Blog: AMAZE - 14 - Speedy
Hugues Ross

1/11/14

AMAZE - 14 - Speedy

Sorry about the late post. Yesterday I had a meeting for my Game Production team, followed by a very long Dungeons and Dragons session, ultimately keeping me up until ~1:00 AM. Thankfully, I bring good news.
I've been coding up a storm this week, and I've not only met all of my week 2 targets but I nabbed some of the week 3 ones as well!

The biggest update is the save system. It's quite simple: The game quietly autosaves every time you beat a level, so you can just quit whenever you want without worrying about losing progress. Note that I've seen to it that you can't cheat by just reloading when you die a couple times. Anyway, once a couple simple bugs are worked out I'll be done with it. After that, I'd say the revamp of the engine's scripting would be next biggest. While most users won't notice a difference, this makes developing levels a bit less of a headache. While I was at it, I made a new font for the score too.

What's left for this week is mostly level building. I also need to make a new tileset for the first real zone of the game, which will probably be released in the next demo within a week or two. I'm also not perfectly happy with how certain things work right now, but changing them would be a massive timesink.



Lastly, here's an important announcement:
So far, AMAZE has only been shown off to my friends and colleagues, not counting this blog. However, as the marathon approaches completion, I have signed up to show off AMAZE to the wider public on February 22nd as part of an event run by one of my college's game development groups. I'm quite excited, but also worried. I don't think I'll be done by then, so I need to get as many zones completed as possible in the coming weeks. Assuming I make good time, I can probably get 4-6 zones done in time for this. After that, I hope to finish up by the end of the semester. However, I may spend another month or two after finishing up. Either way, I already know what game I'll be making next, though I won't tell anyone until the time is right..... Let's just say there will be explosions.

No comments: