4 Hugues Ross - Blog: AMAZE - 16 - Bogged Down
Hugues Ross

2/1/14

AMAZE - 16 - Bogged Down

I don't know what it is, but something keeps getting in the way of my productivity. Every time I say "Let's get a bunch of work done!" nothing happens, and I hardly get a thing finished. I have made a small bit of progress, but things are going way too slow and I only have 3 weeks to get this thing in a decent, presentable state.

Last weekend, during my little progress jam, I got very little done. However, I did accomplish 2 things:

  1. For whatever reason, I felt like adding an overview of each level before it begins. I made the camera start zoomed out, then zoom in on the player when you choose to start the level. It's still a bit buggy, but I rather like the change.
  2. I added a system that lets objects trigger level-wide events, that other objects can respond to. The next area is supposed to have lots of little contraptions, switches, and puzzles, so something like this is very important to have.


Overall, these were actually pretty quick, and I spent the rest of the time just slacking off. Then, I did a bit more this week. The biggest change I made was adding a means to access certain bits of game data from scripts. The main reason for this was so that I could add a little completion meter in the main hub. Whenever you complete a level, the meter fills up  a bit more, and once it's completely full the path to the final area will open. In addition to this change, I(finally) started working on Zone 2. Right now, if I work hard and maybe get a bit lucky, I think I might be able to complete the first three zones in time for the Green Mountain Games Fest. If so, the game will be pretty much half done and things will moving along rather well. I don't know if I'll manage to finish the whole thing before the end of the semester, but I can probably get most of it done by then and wrap the project up in late spring/early summer.

I think in 1 week I'll be able to tell how well things will turn out, depending on whether or not I can get work done by then.

No comments: