4 Hugues Ross - Blog: AMAZE - 5 - General Update Thing, a.k.a. I must have a thing for rewriting significant portions of codebases or something
Hugues Ross

8/7/13

AMAZE - 5 - General Update Thing, a.k.a. I must have a thing for rewriting significant portions of codebases or something

The title says it all.

Dammit.





Alright, it's not that bad so maybe I should actually elaborate. I finished collisions and sprite importing. That's good. I even threw together a simple gui for making asset files! Then I got to adding rooms, and made an important realization: My entity system really sucks. I spent a while thinking about how to add entities to room files, and noticed that the system that I'd built was really just a more elaborate and confusing version of what I'd started with. Obviously, it was back to the drawing board. I've been spending the last week and a half remaking this system, and I'm proud to say that it's basically done! The main reason why I've been delaying this post is that I wanted to resolve all of this beforehand. Anyways, I'm not really going to have much to show off until I finish the room system, which is next on my list. I suppose I could explain how the new entity system actually works, but I'm exhausted today, and I think I'll put that off for some end-of-project roundup. Finally, Ludum Dare is coming up again in a couple of weeks, and I plan on entering. If you don't remember what that is, it's the same jam that spawned A Wheelie Good Time last winter. It's generally quite fun, and I'd like to get my engine in a working state in time for it. That means that once I'm done with rooms, I'm going straight for sound, then I'll try for Windows support. With all that finished, the engine will pretty much be done. As for AMAZE, it'll serve nicely as an easy, not-too-intensive cooldown when school starts up. Hopefully, then I'll relax a bit. I'll work out what my next project will be once that's done.

No comments: