4 Hugues Ross - Blog: 4k View Retrospective: Part 1
Hugues Ross

9/24/13

4k View Retrospective: Part 1

Just as promised, I'm gonna go through all of my old posts and talk about them. I meant to start yesterday, but I've got a ton of work to get done this week. I'll still try to fit these in, but I'll probably end up going into next week a bit.


  • WHAT?! [DELETED - No longer relevant]
This was my first ever post. For some reason, I'd made a blog some time ago...and never posted anything. This post was expressing my confusion, and announcing that I'd be using it.

Ironically, I didn't post again for another 2 months.


The post itself is unusual, too. I just took a picture of some food that I made for some reason. It doesn't even look all that tasty(Though it was). I think I might've posted this just to get something up on the blog. Perhaps I figured I might start putting up personal updates or something. Who knows. Anyway, it wouldn't hurt to just leave it there, which is what I'll do.

I still haven't tried the game I describe here. I've considered trying it recently, but it doesn't seem as fun anymore. Anyway, this gives me more evidence that I was originally planning to make this some kind of life blog, rather than a development blog.

I know for a fact that one of my friends commented on this. However, I can't seem to bring up the comments. That may be why there are never any comments on this blog. Anyway, I think this is a pretty fun little picture, and I'm definitely leaving it up. It's not very well drawn, but I like it.

  • Schedule [DELETED - No longer relevant]
If you want to see my thoughts on this, go here. I haven't used that schedule in a very long time, so there's no point in leaving that post up.

I'll be back to this project someday, but it's going to be a very long time. As much as I still enjoy love2d, I seriously doubt it's quite powerful enough to handle an entire full-scale rpg. Either way, I'm much better at C++ now so it would make more sense to use that. Anyways, I've got a folder for it lying around, and it's got a barely started design document. Someday I'll get around to finishing that, and then I'll see about making an RPG. I'm honestly surprised at how much work on this project I'd gotten done prior to my first post. Nowadays I post my stuff as soon as I start, but here I didn't even think to write about this until I was well into it, it seems.

I really don't have much to say about this. Even back then it looks like I had little to say. It's a rather boring post, but I'll keep it around.

  • A little starting project: Building a castle in Blender [DELETED - No followup. None.]
"This should've been posted up yesterday, but I'm still pretty tired from starting college. Gimme a couple of weeks."
To tell you the truth, I don't think I was ever too psyched about this project. In fact, I believe this was the only post I ever made about it. I dropped this project almost immediately and never looked back. I think this was around when my original schedule started to really fail, so that may be why.

  • Quick Update [DELETED - No longer relevant]
Oh man, I think this is the first ever 'Quick Update'/'Update'/'Minor Update'/etc. That doesn't mean I won't delete it immediately, though. The contents were basically saying that I'd made a schedule page, but had to change the theme to get it working. The theme that I use right now seems pretty buggy, and at the time I had no idea how to get pages showing up with it. Even now, they disappear sometimes.

  • Things and stuff [DELETED - No longer relevant]
Following the first general update post is the first apologetic post! I've got a few of these lying around, and I'll probably be deleting many them eventually. I also mention teaching myself C++ with a "simple text adventure game." I should've known that text adventures are never that simple, at least not when you're using C++ to make them. Still, the project taught me quite a bit. Again, it's still lying around somewhere and I'll finish it eventually. For now, I think I'll stick to AMAZE.


That wraps up the first 10 posts out of 80+. I made a blog a long time ago, posted about it's existence, and promptly forgot it. Then, I started treating it like a general life blog, made a crazy schedule and went to college. Finally, it started falling apart, a process that will reach its conclusion in the next part.

Read the next part here.

No comments: